Ministries & Partner Organizations
Some 30,000 visits are made to our Church building annually by individuals seeking a host of direct service and outreach ministries.
Prayer & Friendship Breakfast — Since the spring of 2012, MSUMC has partnered with Pastor Jack Fitzelle-Jones and MSUMC Board of Trustees member Scott Budnick to provide a Sunday morning meal and prayer service to the downtown community, especially geared to those in need. The service is from 8:00 to 9:00 a.m. Please contact the MSUMC church office if you would like to join us for this special Sunday morning service, either as a participant or as a volunteer (401.330.8900). Donations to this breakfast, food or cash, are also greatly appreciated. For a celebration of this ministry, see The Christian Science Monitor, May 17th, 2013 (click on this link): "Scott Budnick serves breakfast -- with a side order of respect -- to the homeless." For more on our friendship breakfast, please visit its Facebook page by clicking here:
Open Bathrooms — Bathrooms available to the general public. This is one of the few sanitary options to the homeless (or anybody) in the downtown area. Gifts of toilet paper are much appreciated! Contact the church office to give donations: 401.330.8900.
Clothing & Toiletry Ministries — Distributed regularly along side much of the programming at MSUMC.
United Methodist Women— part of the national organization of the United Methodist Women; this group meets regularly to engage in study and mission.\
RI Organizing Project: organizes the community for social change. RIOPs current priorities include preserving affordable public transportation and expanding community based services that allow seniors to remain in their homes & communities. firstname.lastname@example.org
134Collaborative (formerly Headsup) www.134collaborative.org - Building collaborations & partnerships for social good in the Mathewson Street Church building including:
• Family Service of Rhode Island: serving approximately 400 meals per month and provides food pantry, nutritional counseling and social support programs for their clients. www.familyserviceri.org
• Out Loud Theatre: performing theatre rooted in immersive storytelling and shoestring innovation. www.outloudtheatre.org
• PICA: serving a weekly nutritious community meal to over 175 people. www.ripica.org
• Providence Pipes: performing musical improv comedy the first Friday of each month. wwwfacebook.corn/irnprovpipes
• RI for Community & Justice: fighting bias and building cultural understanding through programs for youth leadership, diversity education and policy change. www.ricj.org.
• RI Coalition for the Homeless Advocacy Project: providing outreach & advocacy for those who are homeless. www.rihomeless.org
• Tenderloin Opera Company: providing a theater training program about homelessness that engages homeless, formerly homeless and homeless advocates in writing & performing works. www.facebook.com/TENDERLOINOPERACOMPANY